Thursday, September 5, 2019

Paris. . . When it Drizzles


Every time I look down on this timeless town,
Whether blue or gray be her skies,
Whether loud be her cheers, 
Or whether soft be her tears,
More and more do I realize that...

I love Paris in the spring time,
I love Paris in the fall,
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles,

I love Paris every moment
Every moment of the year
I love Paris, why oh why do I love Paris
Because my love is near.

Cole Porter, 1953

This brilliantly colored impressionist scene of rain-slicked city streets may remind you of a winter day in Paris (the building in the misty background certainly resembles the Paris Opera House), but it comes from the brush of an Italian painter, Antonio DeVity (1901-1993). 


 Born Umberto Marone in southern Italy, DeVity studied art in Naples and Rome. His grandmother's family was from Paris and DeVity traveled to the French capital to study painting, falling in love with the city. It was there that he began using the name "Antonio de Vity." He painted many Parisian scenes, often incorporating important landmarks in the background. Returning to Naples, DeVity founded an art studio, which became an important school for Neapolitan painters. In the late 1960s, his son took over direction of the studio and also painted under the name of Antonio DeVity. His paintings have been exhibited throughout the world and are widely collected.  The use of bold bright colors, reflective streets, and soft lighting are typical of DeVity's works.


1 comment: